top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Post-Graduate Work Permit | Staying in Status & What to do if your Status Expires

The Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program is available to international students who have completed their studies in Canada and wish to extend their stay. You may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you graduated from a designated learning institution (DLI) and want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.

Graduation from a DLI doesn’t automatically make you eligible for a PGWP. You must check the DLI list to find out which schools have eligible programs.

If you meet the eligibility requirements for a Post-Graduate Work Permit, you have 180 days after receiving your final marks to submit an application.

What to do while waiting for your marks

It’s important that you do not let your status expire while you wait for your marks. If your study permit will expire before you get your marks, you have two options. You can either:

If you stay in Canada and let your permit expire, you must apply to restore your status as a student to apply for your PGWP.

What to do If your passport expires before you received a PGWP

You should make sure your passport is valid for the entire length of time you should be eligible for. If your passport expires earlier, Immigration Canada will:

  • only issue you a PGWP that’s valid until your passport expires

  • tell you if you need to extend it to get the full validity

You can only extend a PGWP if Immigration Canada tells you to. If this happens, you have to apply on paper to extend your PGWP so that it will be valid for the full length it should be.

Working while you wait to receive your PGWP

Under certain conditions, you can work while you wait for a decision to be made on your post-graduation work permit application. If, at the time you submitted your application, you:

  • Had a valid study permit;

  • Had completed your program of study;

  • Were eligible to work off-campus without a permit, and

  • Did not work off-campus for more than 20 hours a week during academic session

If you meet the conditions listed, you can work full-time while you wait to receive a decision on your PGWP application.


Other blog posts you may find helpful:


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

2,051 views0 comments


bottom of page