top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Canadian Permits versus Visas - Understanding the difference

In immigration, there are often doubts about whether a visa or permit best applies. Lawyers and Consultants frequently contact us for either RCIC Training or co-counselling on cases where they seek to better understand and navigate instances where they are unsure of clients needing a permit or visa - or both! Keep reading as we break down the basic differences between the two.

What is a Permit?

Permits confer status for foreign nationals in Canada. Permits are granted by a CBSA officer at the Point of Entry (airport/land border, etc.) or at an in-land visa office. There are four central types of permits granted in Canada, each with its own privileges to fit different needs. You need to have a certain type of permit to have valid status in Canada:

What is a visa?

Unlike permits, a visa does not give any foreign national status in Canada; it only allows someone to travel to Canada. Essentially, visas are travel authorizations. The different types of visas are to accommodate the different characteristics and needs of the foreign nationals seeking to come to Canada.

How can Calver & Associates Assist with obtaining permits and visas?

Visit: Calver and Associates assist with Temporary Resident Visas, required medical exams, biometrics, and Electronic Travel Authorizations (eTAs) for those wishing to visit Canada.

Study: We prepare your study permit, work with you to ensure that you are meeting the conditions of your study permit while you’re in Canada, and we help you transition to a work permit and eventually permanent residency if that is your goal.

Work: We write cover letters highlighting how the criteria have been met for a job offer confirmation as well as your qualifications. We then submit and monitor your application(s) until you have successfully been issued your work permit.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is rated Canada's number one boutique immigration consultancy. We serve clients across Canada and internationally. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can assist with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

Moving To Canada - 2021's Guide to Life in Canada.

I’ve written this guide to help you with the big picture planning, detailing everything you need to know and do before, during and after this amazing process. This is more information than any other consultant is willing to share upfront at such a low rate!

441 views0 comments


bottom of page