21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 



Who needs a custodian?

  • International students who are under the age of majority must be accompanied to Canada by a parent or legal guardian.

  • A person under the age of majority is considered a "minor." Each province and territory determines the age of majority.

    • Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan consider the age of majority to be 18 and over.

    • British Columbia, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Northwest Territories, Nova Scotia, Nunavut, and Yukon consider the age of majority to be 19 and over.

  • Minors who are not accompanied by a parent or legal guardian can arrange to have a temporary Canadian guardian, referred to as a custodian.

What does a custodian do?

  • A custodian is a responsible adult who takes care of and supports the child during their time in Canada.

  • A custodian's primary role is to ensure that a minor-aged student is safe and has the necessary advice and support to reside safely within Canada.

  • Some of the roles and responsibilities of the custodian include:

    • Maintaining ongoing contact with the student

    • Signing parental waivers for school-related functions and activities

    • Referrals to important community services such as libraries, fitness clubs, etc.

    • Assist the student in accessing immediate and/or ongoing medical services

    • Monitoring overall mental, physical and emotional well-being of the student

    • Explaining local laws and regulations

    • Responding 24/7 to emergency situations involving the student.

Do you offer custodianship services?

Yes. Student Guardianship Services provides guardianship services and supports to students and their families during their time in Canada. For more information, please visit Jacqueline’s website.

What schools in Ontario accommodate international boarding students?