21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 


Work in canada

In order to work in Canada on a temporary basis, foreign workers must obtain a Temporary Work Permit. At Calver & Associates, we review all aspects of the temporary job offer to ensure that it meets Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) requirements:

  • The job being offered;

  • The person’s qualifications with respect to the job offer;

  • The person’s country of citizenship;

  • The person’s current country of residence;

  • The jurisdiction of where this job will take place in Canada; and

  • Whether or not there are licensing requirements for the job

What do your work permit services include?

  • Verification that the candidate has the proper work experience, as per Canada's National Occupation Classification (NOC) system;
  • Verification that the job offer and the Canadian company have met the criteria for a job offer confirmation;
  • Preparation of the application forms;
  • Verification and cross-referencing of all information on forms;
  • Advice on which essential documents are required in support of the applications;
  • Preparation of detailed cover letters highlighting how the criteria have been met for a job offer confirmation;
  • Preparation of detailed cover letters highlighting your qualifications for the position;
  • Submission of the applications promptly to the appropriate government offices;
  • Monitoring the applications in progress and processing speeds, relative to other files we have submitted to the same offices;
  • Alerting a particular office when there are any processing delays with the applications; and
  • Ensuring confirmation and Canada Work Permit issuance.

Working in Canada is a great way to gain the experience needed to stay in Canada permanently.

NAFTA Permits (for US and Mexican Nationals)

Normally, once a foreign national is offered employment in Canada, a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) must be obtained from Service Canada (HRDSC). After this, a Work Permit must be obtained, as well as a Quebec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) if the job location is in Quebec.

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) allows for American and Mexican nationals to work in Canada without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and in some instances, a Work Permit. The positions in Canada must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for these NAFTA exemptions.

  • Business Visitors to Canada are both LMIA and Work Permit exempt, they must meet specific conditions that show that they will not enter the Canadian Labour Market.
  • Business Professionals, Intra-company Transferees and Traders/ Investors are exempt from the LMIA requirement but do require a Work Permit.

These categories facilitate the flow of labour between Canada, the United States and Mexico, however, it is important to pay careful attention to the conditions of each category, in order to satisfy CIC or a CBSA officer that one fulfills the requirements of the NAFTA category. Applying under the wrong category can result in a refusal of entry to Canada.

Calver and Associates can help you prepare a NAFTA Worker’s package to submit to CIC or to a CBSA Officer at a Border Entry.


Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) are the first step in obtaining a Work Permit in Canada, it is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.

The process includes a four-week recruitment process, as well as proving that the business is a genuine Canadian business in which the owner is actively involved.

Calver & Associates can assist with the LMIA process and the subsequent Work Permit Application. A positive LMIA is often required to obtain Permanent Residency in Canada under the Express Entry system.


A number of situations may occur when an individual can perform work in Canada without needing to secure a Temporary Work Permit. An individual who is eligible to work without a work permit may still require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada on a temporary basis.

The following scenarios have been identified as instances where foreign nationals may perform work in Canada without a work permit:

  • Business Visitors
  • Employees of Short Term Temporary Residents
  • Employees of Foreign Companies Contracting Canadian Companies
  • Foreign Representatives and their Family Members
  • Military Personnel
  • Foreign Government Officers
  • American Cross-Border Maritime Law Enforcement Officers

For a full list of scenarios in which foreign nationals may work in Canada without a permit, click here.


There are many helpful websites that are available to you as a job seeker. Those who do not need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) are able to come to Canada and attend interviews with prospective employers.

General Websites for Job Postings in Canada:

  • Eluta - A job search engine that specializes in finding new jobs directly from employer websites. You can search by region and keywords.
  • Indeed - Search by job title and location. Postings come from hundreds of job boards, newspaper classifieds, and company websites. Also includes internships. It is available in French.
  • Job Bank - Offers users free career information such as job postings, educational requirements, trends, and more. From the Government of Canada.
  • Jobillico - A website with job listings and a matching function.
  • JobServe.ca - Search jobs across Canada or limit by city. You can sign up for email or RSS notification of jobs that match your skills. Post your résumé.
  • Monster.ca - A very popular job site for professionals in Canada. There are many helpful features on this site as well.
  • Neuvoo - This Canada-wide site publishes job postings taken from the careers website of employers. You can search by region and keywords.
  • Workopolis.com - This very popular site has job listings from the Globe and Mail and The Toronto Star.
  • WowJobs.ca - Searches many of the top jobs sites and lists them in one place.

You may also want to check industry-specific job websites.

Other helpful resources:

  • glassdoor.ca - Information on salaries, interview feedback from people who previously interviewed for the position you may be looking at, employer ratings, and more.
  • resume.io - Examples of job-specific resumes to help you create the perfect resume.


There are a few different options open to you as a Canadian Business Class Applicant:

  • Investor Immigration: These immigration programs are for individuals with a certain net worth and enough capital to make an investment in the Canadian economy.
  • Entrepreneur Immigration: Individuals with a certain net worth and business management experience who plan to run a business in Canada may be able to submit an application.
  • Self-Employed Immigration: These programs allow self-employed individuals with significant experience in certain trades and professions to make an application for Canadian immigration.
  • Entrepreneur Start-Up Visas: With funding and support from a designated Canadian investment organization, individuals with a plan for a unique business may be able to acquire this visa.
  • Provincial Nomination: Depending upon the Province, a number of immigration programs may be available for those looking to operate a business in that province.

Contact us today to learn more about working in Canada.

Name *