top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Convert Study Permit to Work Permit Canada

Updated: May 18, 2020

Staying in Canada After Graduation

Many of our clients ask us how they can switch their study permit to a work permit to extend their stay in Canada, post-graduation. This is possible for most people, however, it really depends on your situation in Canada.

How many hours can you work on a study permit?

Your study permit allows you to work up to 20 hours per week off-campus when school is in session and full-time during scheduled breaks (e.g. Reading Week, Winter Break, etc.). It’s important to note that this restriction does not apply to work completed on-campus. For this reason, many of my clients seek out on-campus employment because working additional hours allows them to better fund their studies.

Further, if you have a co-op work permit, you are exempt from the part-time hour restriction. On a co-op work permit, you may be eligible to work full-time hours and be paid for your time.

Option #1 - The Post Graduate Work Program

In order to qualify for this program, you need to have graduated from a program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) and show that you have completed all the requirements of your program. You must also be able to present your transcripts.

PGWP Eligibility Requirements:

  • You must currently hold valid temporary status or have left Canada

  • You must have graduated from an eligible designated learning institution (DLI)

  • You must submit clear evidence that you meet the following criteria:

  • You’ve completed an academic, vocational or professional training program at an eligible institution in Canada that is at least 8 months in duration leading to a degree, diploma or certificate.

  • You maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program you completed and submitted as part of their post-graduation work permit application.

  • You’ve received a transcript and an official letter from the eligible DLI confirming that you’ve met the requirements to complete their program of study.

  • You can begin working as soon as you apply for the Post-Graduate Work Permit. It’s an open work permit, which means you can work for any employer in Canada. I often recommend that you choose skilled work because it does help you become eligible for Permanent Residency.


Option #2 - Apply for a Work Permit with an LMIA

If you don’t qualify for the Post Graduate Work Program because your program was not completed at a DLI, or if you ended your studies before receiving a certificate, degree, or diploma, then you can pursue the traditional work permit process.

The general rule is that you must first find a job offer in Canada and have your future employer complete a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Then you could apply for a work permit and wait for the approval of the LMIA.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

1,672 views0 comments


bottom of page