top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Working in Canada as a Student

Many individuals want to know if they can work in Canada as a student. We often receive emails asking “Can I work in Canada on a student visa?”

In most cases, the answer is yes! Today, we review the requirements for working in Canada as an international student.

Can I work in Canada with a Student Visa?

International students can work up to 20 hours per week while their program is in session. It’s important to note that these restrictions are inclusive. If you work more than one job, for example, the hours you work in both jobs cannot exceed 20 hours per week.

There are some circumstances in which you can exceed this restriction. You can work full-time on a study permit during regularly scheduled breaks, such as a holiday break or summer break. The maximum amount of time you can work full-time is 150 consecutive days. If you choose to work full-time during the Summer, this restriction is important to keep in mind.

Can I start a business as an international student in Canada?

You cannot start a business in Canada as an international student. In order to start a business in Canada, you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. Furthermore, your study permit only authorizes you to work up to 20 hours per week. Starting your own business would likely require more than 20 hours of work per week.

If you want to start a business in Canada, you may be eligible to apply for a Start-Up Visa. Canada’s Start-up Visa Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that are innovative, can create jobs for Canadians and can compete on a global scale.

If you have an innovative and competitive business idea, you can try to get support for your idea from a designated organization to become eligible for the SUV program.

To be eligible for the Start-up Visa Program, you must:


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

51 views0 comments


bottom of page