top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Studying in Canada 2020 | Study Permit Updates

Updated: May 13, 2020

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recently announced some updates to the Canadian study permit requirements. Read below for a full summary of the updated Canada student visa requirements for 2020.

Study Permit Update #1 - Online Filing

According to IRCC, study permits now require mandatory online filing for extensions made from within Canada. This update is also applicable for most temporary resident applications made from within Canada, but it has a notable effect on study permit processing.

As of December 2019, this mandatory filing has negatively affected online application processing times. Previously, it took approximately 1 month to process study permits online in Canada. Now, study permit processing time is up to 3-4 months. With this change in mind, we strongly advise our clients to apply for a study permit extension at least 4 months before their current study permit expires. This will help avoid any issues with losing status in Canada and it is especially important if you need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

Study Permit Update #2 - Study Permits for Pre-Requisite Studies

Students who come to Canada prior to the start of their academic program to complete pre-requisite courses will now be issued a study permit to cover the duration of their pre-requisite course plus one year.

This means that students will be able to study for the pre-requisite course and seamlessly transition to their program at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) without applying for a new study permit. It’s important to note, however, that students cannot work off-campus while studying at the pre-requisite course. As soon as they begin full-time studies at the DLI, whoever, they will be able to participate in the off-campus work program. Once their studies officially commence, they are allowed to work 20 hours a week during studies and full-time hours during regularly scheduled breaks.

Study Permit Update #3 - Transition Between Levels of Study

Students who are transitioning between levels of study (i.e. secondary school to post-secondary school) no longer need to apply for a new study permit immediately. For example, if a high school student’s study permit remains valid until December, but they plan to begin university in September, they can attend university on that existing study permit.

Once their current permit expires, they will apply for a new permit with updated information about their current school and program of study.

Study Permit Update #4 - Changing Schools in Canada

Students who switch from one DLI to another do not need to get a new study permit; rather, they can continue studying at the new school with their existing study permit. Instead, Immigration Canada asks that students contact IRCC to update their school information so that a note can be made on the student’s file.

To learn more about studying in Canada, read our Canada Student Visa Checklist for 2019.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

354 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page