top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Spousal Open Work Permit Processing Time 2021

The Spousal Open Work Permit is a type of work permit that allows a person to work for almost any employer in Canada. This permit does not require you to have a job offer from an employer to qualify. In general, to qualify for the Spousal Open Work Permit, you must be the spouse of a skilled worker or an international student. There are a few other qualifying categories, such as the spouse of a family member of a foreign representative or a foreign military member.

The Spousal Open Work Permit allows a temporary resident to bring their partner to accompany them while they work or study in Canada.

Spousal Open Work Permit Processing Time

The Spousal Open Work Permit processing time as of June 2021 is approximately four to five months. Since Spousal Sponsorship application processing times can take a year or more to be processed, many of our clients opt to complete a Spousal Open Work Permit application to allow their partner to work in Canada while their Permanent Residency application is being processed.

You can apply for a Spousal Open Work Permit from inside or outside of Canada, depending on your situation.

Spousal Open Work Permit Documents

The documents required with a spousal open work permit will vary depending on where you apply from. In general, you will need to submit the following documents with your application:

  • A copy of your spouse’s immigration document (i.e. study permit, work permit, etc.);

  • Proof of funds;

  • Passport photos;

  • Photocopies of your passport;

  • Photocopy of your current immigration document if you have one;

  • Photocopy of your marriage license or certificate

If you're unsure of whether you qualify for a Spousal Open Work Permit, or you need assistance completing your application, you can contact us today.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

16,004 views4 comments


May 13, 2022

Hello please can you tell whats the processing time for spousAl open work permit

Calver Immigration Consulting Inc.
Calver Immigration Consulting Inc.
Jun 12, 2023
Replying to

Hey there! I hope you're doing well. I just wanted to drop a comment and recommend booking an online consultation with Jade Calver. She can offer you invaluable guidance and address any concerns you might have. It's a great opportunity to get expert advice from the comfort of your own home. Give it a try!

Click here:


Kamanda James
Kamanda James
Jan 05, 2022

I'm looking for job spousal

At Canada


Kuljeet Kaur
Kuljeet Kaur
Nov 12, 2021

Hello sir how much time will be taken canada embassy to issue spouse open work permit visa in these days

bottom of page