top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.


Updated: Apr 29, 2020

Every year, thousands of Foreign Nationals come to Canada to study at our Universities, Colleges and even High Schools. According to the Canadian Bureau for International Education, Canada hosted nearly 500 thousand international students in 2018! Canada is also ranked as the world’s 4th most popular destination for international students (Project Atlas, 2018). If you are considering studying abroad in Canada, you may be wondering what the advantages are. Today, we will explain some of the reasons Canada is such a popular location for international study.


In comparison to other countries, Canada offers relatively low tuition for international students. Many countries outside of North American charge international students three to five times the amount of domestic students (permanent residents). However, the average tuition fees for international undergraduate students in Canada is $25,180. The average tuition fees for graduate students in Canada is $16,252. It is important to note that this is the average for all of Canada. This means that depending on your program of study, the school you attend, and the province in which you study, your fees may be lower (or higher). 


Canada is commonly recognized as a nation that provides high-quality education. According to a report published by U21 (Universitas 21), Canada was ranked 8th out of 50 countries for higher education systems. This report compared universities from every continent and evaluated them across 24 attributes (e.g. Government expenditure on tertiary education, proportion of female students in tertiary education, proportion of international students in tertiary education, total research documents produced by higher education institutions, etc.).


You can work while you study in Canada. Under some conditions, you may not even need to apply for a work permit. If you meet the requirements, you can work part-time for up to 20 hours per week, on-campus or off-campus to help fund your education.


While studying in Canada, you may bring your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner with you. They are eligible to apply for an open work permit and accompany you to Canada for the duration of your studies. The open work permit allows them to seek employment anywhere in Canada. You may also bring your children with you; children can study in Canadian primary schools without a study permit.


The Government of Canada allows you to stay in Canada temporarily after your studies to continue working. If you choose to do this, you will need to apply for a post-graduation work permit. The post-graduate work permit can help you gain work experience and it may also help you qualify for permanent residence.

Many students choose to apply to become a permanent resident (PR) after completing their studies in Canada. There are a number of permanent resident categories that students may fit into, such as the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Provincial Nominee Program. These programs are all managed through the Express Entry System. Some of these categories do require applicants to have Canadian work experience. This is why many students choose to stay in Canada temporarily on a Post-graduate work permit to gain the required experience to apply for PR.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

143 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page