top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

How long can I stay in Canada as a Visitor?

Visitor Visa, Super Visa, and TRV

All temporary visitors are allowed to enter Canada for 6 months unless a Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer determines otherwise.

At the port of entry, the border services officer may allow you to stay for less or more than 6 months. If so, they’ll put the date you need to leave by in your passport. They might also give you a document. Be sure to check your stamp carefully so that you know when must leave Canada.

If you don’t get a stamp in your passport, you can stay for 6 months from the day you entered Canada or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

Border Entry Procedure

It’s important to prove that you will return home after the period of time you’re permitted to stay in Canada ends. There are a number of ways you can show this. First, it’s best to purchase a return flight ticket. This shows the CBSA officer that you do have plans to return home as your ticket has already been purchased.

You must also show that you have enough money to support your stay in Canada. You cannot work or study in Canada on Visitor status.

Multi-Entry Visas

You can receive either a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. With a multiple entry visa, you can request permission to visit Canada multiple times before the expiry date. A single entry visa entitles you to a single visit prior to the expiration date. Note that the expiry date on your visa does not determine how long you get to stay in Canada. For example, Temporary Resident Visas may be issued for 5-10 years, but this does not mean you can stay in Canada for 5 years consecutively.

Extending Your Stay in Canada

If you want to stay longer than your authorized stay, you should apply for an extension at least 30 days before the authorized end of your stay. If you enter Canada on a Super Visa, you can stay for up to two years and you can request the full two years each time you enter. If you have applied to extend your stay while in Canada and the visa expires while you are waiting for a decision, you are said to have implied status.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

749 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page