top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Can my Aunt or Uncle Sponsor me to Canada?

At Calver and Associates, we often receive questions about who is eligible for family class sponsorship in Canada. Some of the most common questions we receive are “Can my Aunt sponsor me for Canada?” and “Can my Uncle sponsor me for Canada?”

There are very specific eligibility requirements for the family class sponsorship program that both the sponsor and the person being sponsored must meet.

In some circumstances, a person’s Canadian Aunt or Uncle can sponsor them for Permanent Residency in Canada. To qualify, the sponsor (i.e. the Aunt or Uncle) must be:

  • 18 years of age or older

  • A Canadian citizen or person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or Permanent Resident of Canada

The niece or nephew who wants to be sponsored by their Aunt or Uncle must be:

  • Related to their Aunt/Uncle by blood or adoption

  • Orphaned; both their mother and father passed away

  • Under 18 years of age

  • Single (not married or in a common-law or conjugal relationship)

If the sponsor and person being sponsored don’t meet these requirements, there is one other option. You can sponsor one relative, related by blood or adoption, of any age, if you meet all of these conditions:

  • The sponsor doesn't have a living relative they could sponsor instead E.g. spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, son or daughter, parent, grandparent, orphaned brother or sister, orphaned nephew or niece, or orphaned grandchild AND

  • The sponsor doesn’t have any relatives who are a: Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or registered Indian under the Indian Act

Who can sponsor me to Canada?

If you and your Aunt/Uncle don’t meet the requirements listed above, you may be eligible to be sponsored by a different family member. There are other types of family sponsorship applications available for eligible applicants, including:

  • Spouse or Common-Law Partner

  • Conjugal Partners

  • Dependent Child or Adopted Child

  • Parent or Grandparent

  • Other Family Members

Can you sponsor a non-relative to Canada?

No. A friend does not fall under the “family class” category. Eligible family members to sponsor include a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner; and dependent children.

You may also apply to sponsor a parent or grandparent. In order to do this, you must submit an online interest to sponsor form. If you are selected, you will then receive an invitation to submit a complete application.

How much does it cost to sponsor someone to Canada?

The government processing fee for a sponsorship application is $1050 CAD plus $85 CAD for biometrics, if required. You can read Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada’s fee list for more information.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

10,761 views4 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Josh Brown
Josh Brown
Mar 18, 2021

You can sponsor yourself! Just get a perfect resume and find a well-paid job, It is as easy as it sounds. is the best resume service in the US. These are the best monster resume service reviews


Feb 02, 2021

Yes! They can if they are living there and hold a permanent visa. The policies of the Canadian government are not much strict to went there pay someone to do assignment as we know that Canada is the only country who have provided the maximum country-ship to other country people.

Calver Immigration Consulting Inc.
Calver Immigration Consulting Inc.
May 13, 2023
Replying to

Hey there! I hope you're doing well. I just wanted to drop a comment and recommend booking an online consultation with Jade Calver. She can offer you invaluable guidance and address any concerns you might have. It's a great opportunity to get expert advice from the comfort of your own home. Give it a try!

Click here:

bottom of page