top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Can I sponsor my friend to immigrate to Canada?

Updated: Apr 20, 2020

Family Sponsorship Canada

Eligible Canadian citizens can sponsor certain relatives to join them in Canada through the family class sponsorship program. In order to sponsor your relatives, there are a few requirements applicants and sponsored parties must meet.

Who can be a sponsor?

To become a sponsor, you must be:

  • At least 18 years old;

  • A Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act, or a permanent resident of Canada;

  • Able to prove that you aren’t receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability;

  • Able to provide the basic needs (i.e. food, clothing, shelter, etc.) of any person you are sponsoring

What about a non-family member? Can I sponsor my friend to immigrate to Canada?

No. A friend does not fall under the “family class” category. Eligible family members to sponsor include a spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner; and dependent children.

You may also apply to sponsor a parent or grandparent. In order to do this, you must submit an online interest to sponsor form. If you are selected, you will then receive an invitation to submit a complete application.

How do I apply to sponsor a family member?

In order to sponsor a family member, there are a number of important steps to follow. You must:

  1. Determine if you are eligible.

  2. Get your application package.

  3. Fill out your forms.

  4. Gather your documents.

  5. Pay your fees online.

  6. Submit your application.

For an extensive list of steps, read the Government of Canada’s basic guide to sponsoring your spouse, partner, or child.

I submitted my application. Now what?

After you submit your application, you must wait for it to be processed. Your application may be denied and returned to you if it is incomplete or you failed to submit the required fees. If your application was properly submitted, you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt letter with an application number. Your application will then be assessed to determine your eligibility as a sponsor in addition to the eligibility of the sponsored party.

The length of time required for this stage varies depending on the type of application and the number of applications received at the time of submission. You can monitor processing times using the Government of Canada application processing time tool.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

22,470 views3 comments

Recent Posts

See All


Dec 08, 2022

Please I need a friend from Canada


Sep 27, 2021

Please give me a call 3435801968


Sep 27, 2021

I want to sponsor a friend from India

bottom of page