top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

What documents do you need to immigrate to Canada?

Updated: May 11, 2020

Travel Documents for Border Crossing

Before you can move to Canada, you must apply for either temporary residency or permanent residency in Canada. When you apply, you are required to submit various documents along with your application forms. You must also bring travel documents with you when crossing the border.

Essential Documents Required to Move to Canada

In general, these documents are required regardless of the type of application you submit.

  • A valid passport, passport card, or another travel document

  • A Canadian immigration visa (e.g. Temporary Residence Visa)

  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence

  • Two copies each of:

  • A detailed list of all the personal or household items you’re bringing with you

  • A list of items that are arriving later and their monetary value

Settler’s Effects List

Before you arrive, you also prepare two copies of a list of the goods you’ll bring into Canada. The list should:

  • Show each item’s value, make, model and serial number

  • Be divided into two sections

- The goods you’re bringing with you

- Items that are arriving later and their monetary value

Disclosure of Funds

When you arrive in Canada, you must disclose if you’re carrying more than $10,000 CAN. If you don’t, you’re at risk of being fined and your funds could be seized. Funds can be in the form of cash, cheques, bankers’ drafts, travellers’ cheques, money orders, and securities (i.e. stocks, bonds, etc.).

Health Documents

You must provide health documents for both yourself and any other family members immigrating with you. For example, you must bring official documents that show what vaccinations you and your family have had.

Other Documents

In addition to the previously listed documents, there are other documents you may need to bring when you come to Canada. You may be required to bring:

  • Marriage certificates

  • Driver’s license

  • Adoption, separation, or divorce papers

  • Birth certificates

  • Letters of reference from employers

  • Trade or professional certificates and licenses

  • Car registration documents

  • School records, diplomas, and degrees

  • A list of your education and professional qualifications and job experience

  • Work Visa if you plan to work in Canada

  • StartUp Visa if you plan to open a business in Canada

  • Study Permits if you plan to attend school in Canada

You can use this list of travel documents to help you prepare for your border crossing. Be sure to review the full details on the Government of Canada’s website.


Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

236 views0 comments


bottom of page