Canada is known for its inclusivity and openness to immigrants from all over the world. The country has several immigration programs, one of which is the Family Class Sponsorship Program. This program allows Canadian citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner to immigrate to Canada.
To sponsor your spouse to Canada, you must be at least 18 years old and a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. You should also be living in Canada or have plans to live in Canada when the sponsored spouse becomes a permanent resident, note that only Canadian citizens can sponsor a spouse from outside of Canada, Permanent Resident will have to be physically residing in Canada in order to sponsor a partner.
In addition to the above, as a sponsor you are required to sign an agreement stating that both parties understand their obligations and responsibilities. You also need to sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the sponsored person. As a sponsor, you’ll need to show that you have enough financial stability to support your partner, there is no required amount of money that you need to show, but you will need to show either employment or savings as proof of this financial ability.
The person being sponsored must also meet certain criteria. They should be at least 18 years old and must be the sponsor's spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner. A marriage must be valid under both the law of the country where it took place and under Canadian law. The person must also show that they are not inadmissible to Canada for health reasons, criminality or other immigration reasons.
What Does the Application Process Look Like?
1. Application Package: The first step is to download the application package from the official website of the Government of Canada. The package includes an instruction guide and all the forms you need to fill out.
2. Completing the Application: Fill out the application forms in the online portal and carefully and accurately. Provide all the necessary details about yourself and your spouse.
3. Document Collection: Gather all necessary documents as listed in the checklist provided in the application package. These documents generally include identification documents, proof of relationship, and financial documents.
4. Submission of Application: Pay the processing fee and upload it to your online application. You can then submit your application online, you’ll get an email saying that the application has been successfully submitted.
5. Processing of Application: Once the application is submitted, it will be reviewed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). If the application is complete, you’ll receive what’s called an AOR, or Acknowledgement of Receipt.
During processing, you’ll have to complete:
- Fingerprinting (called biometrics)
- A medical exam, done by a panel physician
- Potentially, submit more evidence
- You may also receive a request for an interview with an officer
6. Decision on Application: Once the application is processed, a decision will be made. If the application is approved, the sponsored person will be issued a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and a permanent resident visa (if they are from a country that requires a visa to enter Canada).
As a sponsor, you are financially responsible for the person you sponsor for a period of three years from the date they become a permanent resident, for minor children it is 10 years. You are responsible for providing basic needs such as food, clothing, shelter, and other necessary goods. Even if you separate from your spouse or partner, you are still responsible for them.
Sponsoring your spouse to Canada is a commitment that requires careful planning and consideration. At my firm, Calver Immigration Consulting Inc. we have successfully navigated hundreds of sponsorship applications for spouses and partners of Canadians. We can help you with the process of evaluating your eligibility, document review, form filling and submission to the government.
At Calver Immigration Consulting Inc., our team of experienced professionals is here to help you navigate the challenging world of Canadian immigration. Schedule an online consultation with us today to receive the support you require for sponsoring your spouse to Canada in 2024. book an online consultation with us here.
Calver Immigration Consulting Inc. is rated Canada's number one boutique immigration consultancy. We serve clients across Canada and internationally. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law serving those in Canada and abroad.
We can assist with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.
Moving To Canada - 2023's Guide to Life in Canada.
I’ve written this guide to help you with the big-picture planning, detailing everything you need to know and do before, during and after this amazing process. This is more information than any other consultant is willing to share upfront at such a low rate!