top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

How to get your Post-Graduate Work Permit Faster in 2023 by Flagpoling

If you are an international student in Canada who has recently graduated from a post-secondary institution, you may be wondering how to obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP). One method that many students use is called "flagpoling."


What is flagpoling?

Flagpoling is the process of leaving Canada and re-entering the country immediately to obtain a new immigration status or document. In the case of a PGWP, this means leaving Canada and re-entering as a visitor with the intention of applying for a work permit at the border. This process involves going to a border crossing, which is often marked by a flagpole, hence the name "flagpoling."

Why flagpole for a PGWP?

Flagpoling is a popular option for international students who want to obtain a PGWP because it can be faster than applying for a work permit through regular channels, currently, an in-Canada work permit application is taking over six months for processing. However, if your flagpole, you can often get the work permit on the same day issued by a CBSA officer at a border crossing with the USA.

Additionally, flagpoling can be less stressful for some students, as they can speak directly to a border officer and get an answer on the spot. The process is also generally more transparent, as you can see what is happening and ask questions in real time.

How to flagpole for a PGWP

If you decide to flagpole for your PGWP, there are several steps you'll need to follow:

Step 1: Gather your documents

Before you go to the border, make sure you have all the required documents for your PGWP application. This includes your passport, study permit, and proof of graduation (e.g. a transcript or diploma), you will require additional documents depending on your specific situation.

Step 2: Choose a border crossing

Our experience at Calver Immigration Consulting Inc. has taught us that some border crossings are better than others for these applications... Some crossings are more busy than others, so consider factors like wait times and proximity to your location. Many border crossings will also only let you apply on certain days when they are not busy and have enough staff for processing at the office.

Step 3: Go to the border

When you arrive at the border, tell the border officer that you want to flagpole for a PGWP. They will likely direct you to a secondary processing area where you'll be asked to fill out an application form and provide your documents. You have to complete a non-entry declaration to the US and then go speak with the CBSA.

Step 4: Wait for processing

Once you've submitted your application, you'll need to wait for it to be processed. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours, depending on how busy the border crossing is. Be sure to bring a book and snacks!

Step 5: Receive your PGWP

If your application is approved, you'll be issued a PGWP on the spot. Make sure to check that all the information on the permit is correct before leaving the border crossing.

Final Points

Flagpoling can be a convenient and efficient way for international students to obtain a Post-Graduation Work Permit in Canada. However, it's important to note that this process is not without risks. If you're unsure whether to flagpole for your PGWP, consider speaking with a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant before proceeding.

For more information on how to get your post-graduate work permit faster in 2023 by Flagpoling, please reach out to us. If you have any questions about how to file for a study permit, please get in touch and book an online consultation with us here.


Our Services

Calver Immigration Consulting Inc. is rated Canada's number one boutique immigration consultancy. We serve clients across Canada and internationally. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in Canada and abroad.

We can assist with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

Moving To Canada - 2023's Guide to Life in Canada.

I’ve written this guide to help you with the big-picture planning, detailing everything you need to know and do before, during and after this amazing process. This is more information than any other consultant is willing to share upfront at such a low rate!

8,754 views0 comments


bottom of page