top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Can My Spouse Work While Their Application is Being Processed?

Updated: May 25, 2020

Spousal Open Work Permit


I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada. Can they work while their application is being processed?


Yes, but only if your spouse or partner has a work permit. If your spouse applied, or wants to apply, under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, he or she can apply for an open work permit. It will take about 4-5 months to process the open work permit application.

Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, he or she must:

  1. Maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, and

  2. Wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work.

How to Apply for a Work Permit

For the steps to apply, see How to apply for a work permit. Follow the instructions that match your situation.

If the sponsorship application hasn’t been submitted yet:

  • Put the sponsorship, permanent residence and open work permit applications into one envelope.

  • Make sure to include:

    • all supporting documents for all applications, and

    • proof of payment, for all applications.

  • Send the envelope to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga (CPC-M), Ontario.

If the permanent residence application has not been approved in principle:

The time it takes to get your approval in principle depends on your case. Processing times vary.

If the permanent residence application has been approved in principle:


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

222 views0 comments


bottom of page