top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Can a Canadian Permanent Resident Sponsor Their Spouse While Living Abroad? A Comprehensive Guide

As a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, I know that navigating the complexities of immigration can be challenging. One question that frequently arises is whether a Canadian Permanent Resident (PR) can sponsor their spouse while living outside of Canada. In this blog post, we will delve into this topic and provide some clarity.

Understanding the Sponsorship Process

Canada is renowned for its welcoming stance towards immigrants, offering several immigration programs, including the Family Class Sponsorship Program. This program allows Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents to sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for permanent immigration to Canada.


The sponsorship process involves a commitment from the sponsor to provide financial support and ensure that the sponsored person will not need to seek financial assistance from the government.


Can a PR Sponsor While Living Outside Canada?

The short answer is, it's complicated. According to the current immigration laws, a Canadian PR can sponsor their spouse or common-law partner for immigration to Canada, but there's a crucial requirement: the Permanent Resident sponsor must reside in Canada.


Unlike Canadian citizens, who can sponsor their spouse or common-law partner whilst living abroad (provided they can prove their intention to reside in Canada when their spouse or common-law partner becomes a permanent resident), Sponsors with PR status are expected to live in Canada during the time of application.


What If You Are a PR Living Abroad?

If you are a Canadian Permanent Resident living abroad and you wish to sponsor your spouse, you will need to return to Canada to do so. Once you are back in Canada and residing here, you can initiate the sponsorship process.


We often will provide evidence that a sponsor who is a permanent residency is residing in Canada with the initial application for permanent residency (employment in Canada, government-IDs, recent utility bills). This avoids IRCC asking for these documents during the processing of the application.


Can I leave Canada While I am Awaiting a Decision?

You are well within your right to leave Canada while the sponsorship application is in processing. Often, our client will want to visit their spouse and children if applicable especially given processing times of 1.5 years on average. If you choose to leave for longer periods of time, I suggest that you ensure that you keep ties to Canada (employment, housing, bank accounts) in the case that IRCC ever asks for proof you live in Canada. Without this, you risk the application being refused for lack of sponsor residency in Canada.


Final Thoughts

Navigating immigration laws can be complex, and your personal circumstances may add layers of complexity. If you are a Canadian Permanent Resident living abroad and looking to sponsor your spouse, it is advisable to consult with a professional to fully understand your obligations and the steps you need to take.


As a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, I am dedicated to helping you understand the immigration process and make informed decisions. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you might have or to discuss your specific circumstances.


Remember, the path to uniting with your loved ones in Canada may have its challenges, but with the right guidance, it's entirely possible.

At Calver Immigration Consulting Inc., we can assist you with the question: "Can a Canadian Permanent Resident Sponsor Their Spouse While Living Abroad?" and help you navigate through the process. book an online consultation with us here.


Our Services

Calver Immigration Consulting Inc. is rated Canada's number one boutique immigration consultancy. We serve clients across Canada and internationally. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law serving those in Canada and abroad.

We can assist with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

Moving To Canada - 2023's Guide to Life in Canada.

I’ve written this guide to help you with the big-picture planning, detailing everything you need to know and do before, during and after this amazing process. This is more information than any other consultant is willing to share upfront at such a low rate!

55 views0 comments


bottom of page