top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.


Updated: May 4, 2020

Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada announced the launch of two new pilot programs for the Caregiver program. These new pilots will remove barriers to family immigration and allow caregivers to bring their family with them to Canada. In addition, caregivers will have the opportunity to change jobs quickly and apply for permanent residency.

In this new pilot program, applicants will be assessed to determine if they are eligible for permanent residency before they begin working in Canada. Once the applicant has obtained a work permit and accrued two years of work experience as a caregiver, they will have access to a direct pathway to become a permanent resident.

These pilot programs will replace the following pilot programs:

  • The Caring for Children Pilot; and

  • The Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pilot

This new pilot program will allow applicants to:

  • Obtain occupation-specific (rather than employer-specific) work permits for caregivers

  • This will allow caregivers to change jobs quickly when necessary

  • Obtain open work permits for spouses/common-law partners and study permits for dependent children, to allow the caregiver’s family to accompany them to Canada

In addition to this pilot program, Minister of Immigration, Ahmed Hussen announced the launch of the Interim Pathway for Caregivers. This pilot will be open from March 4, 2019, to June 4, 2019. This program will allow caregivers the opportunity to stay in Canada permanently.


In order to be eligible to apply for one of these pilot programs, applicants must:

  • Be authorized to work in Canada on a work permit other than the Live-In Caregiver Program work permit

  • Have applied and be eligible for restoration of status and held a work permit other than a Live-in Caregiver Program work permit as their most recent work permit

  • Intend to live in a province other than Quebec

  • Have obtained a Canadian educational credential that is equivalent to, or higher than a secondary school diploma, OR a foreign diploma, certificate, or educational credential issued within 5 years of the application that is equivalent to a Canadian secondary school diploma

  • Have a Canadian Language Benchmark score of 5 or more in either official language for each of the four language skill areas

  • Language test scores must not be older than two years

  • Have acquired one year of full-time work in Canada since November 30, 2014

  • Is not otherwise inadmissible

  • Meet all requirements applicable to foreign nationals seeking to obtain permanent resident status in Canada




Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

50 views0 comments


bottom of page