top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Applying for PR During COVID-19

Can I still apply for Permanent Residency in Canada during the coronavirus?

Yes. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is still accepting applications for Permanent Residency submitted online. IRCC is also accepting applications for PR managed through the Express Entry system and Express Entry draws continue to be held.

Currently, IRCC has given all applicants 90 days to fill out their PR application after they receive their Invitation to Apply (ITA). This is 30 days more than the standard 60 days that are given to all applicants who receive an ITA in order to allow for additional time to gather the required supporting documents.

If you are missing documents due to the coronavirus pandemic, you can submit a letter explaining why you are missing that document and your application will be put on hold until further notice. Once you are able to secure the required document, you can update IRCC via the webform.


Can I confirm my Permanent Residency during the coronavirus travel restrictions?

If your permanent residence application was approved on or before March 18, 2020, but you haven’t landed yet, you’re also exempt from the travel restrictions and allowed to come to Canada.

If you have not confirmed your PR yet, the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) recommends that those wishing to apply for PR consider the federal (and provincial guidelines) for self-isolation and social distancing. Travel for the purpose of immigration services is considered non-essential and is not permitted at this time.


Will I be allowed to re-enter Canada if I’m a permanent resident?

Yes. If you’re a landed permanent resident and have no symptoms of COVID-19, you’re allowed to travel to Canada. You must self-isolate for 14 days when you arrive even if you have no symptoms.

If you are showing symptoms of COVID-19 you will not be allowed to enter Canada by air. You can still enter at a land border and must self-isolate for 14 days when you arrive.


For more information, you may find these pages helpful:

Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

156 views0 comments


bottom of page