top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Study in Canada for International Students 2021

Over the past year, travel to Canada was interrupted by COVID-19 as IRCC implemented many temporary immigration policies to keep Canadians and foreign nationals safe. Although many international students have still been able to come to Canada to study, there have been several changes to the immigration process.

Today, we answer some top questions about studying in Canada and extending your stay in Canada as an international student during COVID-19.

Can I study in Canada During COVID?

Canada is allowing international students to enter the country. To be able to enter Canada as a student, you must have a valid study permit or a letter of introduction that shows you were approved for a study permit. You must also be attending a Designated Learning Institution (DLI) with a COVID-19 readiness plan approved by its province or territory.

It’s also important to note that before you cross the border into Canada, you must have a quarantine plan, you must have a negative COVID-19 test result (taken within the last 72 hours), and you must adhere to the requirements for flying to Canada (including a mandatory hotel stay for all air travellers). Read more about this from IRCC.

What do I need to study in Canada in 2021?

To apply for a study permit, you will need:

✓ Acceptance Letter: A letter sent by the school confirming your acceptance into your program of study.

✓ Proof of Financial Support: Proof that you have money to support yourself and any family members coming with you. You must show that you can cover your tuition fees as well as your cost of living (accommodation, food, etc.) for your first year in Canada.

✓ Identity documents: Birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport.

Letter of Explanation for any documents that are missing due to COVID-19

To enter Canada, you will also need the following items:

✓ Quarantine Plan

✓ Negative PCR test showing that you do not have COVID-19

✓ A valid study permit from a DLI with a COVID-19 readiness plan

I am in Canada with a Post-Graduate Work Permit. Can I extend my PGWP?

Under normal circumstances, international students who have studied in Canada for at least 8 months can apply for a PGWP. The PGWP is an open work permit that is issued to an individual only once in their lifetime; it cannot be renewed and you can not re-apply for a PGWP once you have had one.

However, IRCC acknowledges that the pandemic has caused many challenges for international student graduates with respect to finding employment during their PGWP. As a result, on January 27, 2021, Canada started accepting applications through a new temporary immigration program enabling certain recent international graduates to apply for an extra open work permit. This program will only accept applications until July 27, 2021. You can learn more about this in Jade’s YouTube video explaining the full policy.

I want to stay in Canada after my Post-Graduate Work Permit expires. What are my options?

Many of our clients who come to Canada to study apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit to gain Canadian work experience that will help them qualify for Permanent Residency through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). The CEC is a PR program managed by the Express Entry System. To be eligible, applicants must have one year of full-time work experience (or part-time equivalent) in a skilled position. This year, we’ve seen IRCC prioritize the Canadian Experience Class, inviting over 40,000 foreign nationals to apply for Permanent Residency through Express Entry in 2021. We’re advising all of our clients who may qualify to submit their profile now!


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

135 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page