top of page



In order to work in Canada on a temporary basis, foreign workers must obtain a Temporary Work Permit. For foreign workers, an offer of employment from a Canadian employer is usually required.

 At Calver & Associates, we review all aspects of the temporary job offer to ensure that it meets Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) requirements:

  • The job being offered;

  • The person’s qualifications with respect to the job offer;

  • The person’s country of citizenship;

  • The person’s current country of residence;

  • The jurisdiction of where this job will take place in Canada; and

  • Whether or not there are licensing requirements for the job

There are several steps to the Work Permit application process. Depending upon the foreign worker's country of citizenship, a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also need to be obtained in order to enter Canada.









Employer applies for Labour Market Impact Assessment, if necessary.

Employer extends Temporary Job Offer.

Foreign Worker applies for Work Permit.

Work Permit is issued.

What do your work permit services include?

We begin by reviewing your case and assessing your eligibility for various Canadian Work Programs. We also assess the likelihood of success for your application. 


Our next step is to verify that you have the proper work experience as per Canada’s National Occupation (NOC) system and verify that the job offer and the Canadian company have met the criteria for a job offer confirmation.


Next, we prepare the application forms. This involves verification and cross-referencing of all information on forms. We also offer advice on which essential documents are required in support of your application to ensure success.

Included in our Work Permit Services:

  • Preparation of detailed cover letters highlighting how the criteria have been met for a job offer confirmation;

  • Preparation of detailed cover letters highlighting your qualifications for the position;

  • Submission of the applications promptly to the appropriate government offices;

  • Monitoring the applications in progress and processing speeds, relative to other files we have submitted to the same offices;

  • Alerting a particular office when there are any processing delays with the applications; and

  • Ensuring confirmation and Canada Work Permit issuance

Working in Canada is a great way to gain the experience needed to stay in Canada permanently. We will determine the best way to proceed once the outcome of your case has been reached (i.e. application for Permanent Residence, Work Permit renewal, etc.). 


Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIAs) are the first step in obtaining a Work Permit in Canada. The LMIA is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. Most work in Canada will require the LMIA however, some types of work are exempt from an LMIA.


A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It will also show that no Canadian worker is available to do the job. A positive LMIA is sometimes called a confirmation letter.


The process includes a four-week recruitment process, as well as proving that the business is a genuine Canadian business in which the owner is actively involved. Calver & Associates can assist with the LMIA process and the subsequent Work Permit Application. A positive LMIA is often required to obtain Permanent Residency in Canada under the Express Entry system.



A number of situations may occur when an individual can perform work in Canada without needing to secure a Temporary Work Permit. An individual who is eligible to work without a work permit may still require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada on a temporary basis.

The following scenarios have been identified as instances where foreign nationals may perform work in Canada without a work permit:

  • Business Visitors

  • Employees of Short Term Temporary Residents

  • Employees of Foreign Companies Contracting Canadian Companies

  • Foreign Representatives and their Family Members

  • Military Personnel

  • Foreign Government Officers

  • American Cross-Border Maritime Law Enforcement Officers

For a full list of scenarios in which foreign nationals may work in Canada without a permit, click here.


The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) allows American and Mexican nationals to work in Canada without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and in some instances, without a Work Permit. The positions in Canada must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for these NAFTA exemptions.

  • Business Visitors to Canada are both LMIA and Work Permit exempt, they must meet specific conditions that show that they will not enter the Canadian Labour Market.

  • Business Professionals, Intra-company Transferees and Traders/ Investors are exempt from the LMIA requirement but do require a Work Permit.

Some examples of professions that are considered eligible for a NAFTA Work Permit include: Accountant, Engineer, Lawyer, Social Worker, Dentist, Physician, Pharmacist, College/University teacher, Chemist, and more. 

Calver and Associates can help you prepare a NAFTA Worker’s package to submit to CIC or to a CBSA Officer at a Border Entry.











bottom of page