top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Canada Launches NEW Work Permit for Hong Kong Graduates

Starting today (February 8, 2021), Hong Kong residents will be able to apply for new Open Work permits, valid for up to three years. These work permits will allow Hong Kong residents to gain Canadian work experience, which will eventually help them become eligible to apply for Permanent Resident status via the Canadian Experience Class in the Express Entry system.

To qualify for the Open Work permit, Hong Kong residents must have graduated from a Canadian college or university program (or hold an equivalent foreign credential) of two or more years that resulted in a degree or diploma. This degree or diploma must have also been completed in the last five years.

Hong Kong residents currently in Canada temporarily, including visitors, students and workers, can apply online from within Canada. Those applying from abroad must either meet the travel exemption requirements or have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.

In addition to open work permits, the Canadian government plans to implement two other pathways to permanent residence for young Hong Kong residents, which will be available later in 2021.

The first will be for Hong Kong residents with at least 1 year of work experience in Canada and who meet the language and education criteria.

The second will be for Hong Kong residents who have graduated from a post-secondary institution in Canada; who can then apply directly for permanent residence.

IRCC will release more information about these upcoming immigration programs; we will share this information as it becomes available.

“The launch of the Hong Kong immigration pathway is a historic initiative that will attract young, talented and experienced graduates who will help to drive Canada’s economy forward. With flexible open work permits and a fast-track to permanent residency, skilled Hong Kong residents will have a unique opportunity to develop their careers and help accelerate Canada’s economic recovery. This is a landmark immigration initiative that will strengthen our economy and will deepen the ties between Canada and the people of Hong Kong.”

The Honourable Marco E. L. Mendicino, P.C., M.P., Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

96 views0 comments


bottom of page