top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.


Updated: May 13, 2020

Many of our clients come to Canada through the International Experience Canada class on either a Working Holiday, the Young Professionals Class, or the International Co-op (internship). Those who come to Canada on the Working Holiday Visa often approach us when their Working Holiday Visa is about to expire with one of the following questions:

  • Can I extend my working holiday visa?

  • Can I stay in Canada after my visa expires?

  • Can I get a second working holiday visa for Canada?

Most of these questions can be answered fairly quickly. The Working Holiday Visa is open to those between the ages of 18 and 35 (depending on your country of origin) and it is a temporary immigration program that allows to live, work, and travel in Canada for up to 24 months (depending on your country of origin).

You can only participate in the Working Holiday Visa once. So, if your Working Holiday Visa is about to expire, you cannot submit an application to extend it, nor can you submit a new application.

Today, Jade answers a question she received from a new client about her Working Holiday Visa expiring.


About two years ago, I moved from Sydney to Toronto. My Working Holiday visa expires in the next month and I applied for an extension a few weeks ago. I called the IRCC today and they told me it's very unlikely that I will get an extension due to a note left on my file. They also told me that if it was denied for the extension that I would have to apply for a work visa specific to my qualifications and that would I would have to stay in that job. After two years in that position, I would be able to apply for Permanent Residency. What should I do?


As of right now, Australians can only participate in the International Experience Class (IEC) Working Holiday category once. The government previously allowed unlimited participation for Australians who met the criteria of the class. 

Given that you’ve reached your two years of participation, you will need to leave Canada so that you do not exceed your authorized stay. You will need to return to Canada as either a visitor (during which you cannot work), or after you’ve secured a new work permit, likely backed by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

International Experience Class (IEC) workers may also want to assess their eligibility for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). Often those who have worked in Canada are eligible under this class of application, and do not need to pursue a second work permit.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

221 views0 comments


bottom of page