top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Temporary Foreign Worker Applications Are Being Fast-Tracked

Temporary Foreign Workers Can Start Working in Canada 10 Days After Applying for a Work Permit

The Government of Canada announced a new temporary policy to reduce the time it takes for Temporary Foreign Workers (TFWs) to begin working in Canada.

With this new policy, a TFW who is already in Canada and has secured a valid Canadian job offer with a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) can get approval to begin working while their work permit application is being processed.

Work Permit applications for TFWs can often take 10 weeks or longer to fully process. This temporary policy reduces the processing time to 10 days or less.

Who is eligible for expedited work permit processing?

To be eligible for 10-day processing, TFWs must be in Canada with valid status. They must also have an employer-specific work permit or have been working under a work permit exemption. In addition, they must have submitted an application for a new work permit with a valid job offer under either the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program

The work permit applicant must then submit a request to IRCC. The request will be reviewed within 10 days, and if approved, authorization for the worker to start working in their new job will be sent to them by email.

Employers Must Still Apply for an LMIA

There is no change to the role of the employer in the process of hiring foreign workers. An employer needs to have, or obtain, a valid positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada.

They must name the worker in a position on the LMIA, and notify Service Canada. For an employer-specific, LMIA-exempt situation, the employer needs to submit an offer of employment through the International Mobility Program Employer Portal.

Temporary foreign workers are an integral part of the Canadian workforce and Canada’s COVID-19 response. They are helping us meet urgent labour needs, to ensure our food security and deliver essential goods and services. While there will always be jobs for Canadians who choose to work in these sectors, these changes help support our economy by ensuring that temporary foreign workers already here can contribute during these extraordinary times.

– The Honourable Carla Qualtrough, P.C., M.P., Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

45 views0 comments
bottom of page