top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

What is an electronic travel authorization in Canada?

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a document that is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. With a valid eTA, you can travel to Canada as often as you wish for short stays.

Today, Jade explains the requirements for an eTA. She also answers some common questions about the eTA, which include:

  • What is an electronic travel authorization in Canada?

  • Do I need an eTA to travel to Canada?

  • What about travellers who cannot apply for an eTA?

  • Do Permanent Residents need an eTA?

  • How do I get an electronic travel authorization in Canada?

  • How long is an eTA valid for Canada?

  • How much is an eTA for Canada?

  • How long is the eTA processing time in Canada?

How do I get an electronic travel authorization in Canada?

The application process for the eTA is fairly simple. There are few steps required and you can apply online within minutes.

  1. Get your passport, and credit or debit card (depending on the payment method you would like to use) and read the help document.

  2. Use the online form to apply. Be sure to complete your form in one sitting because it will not save your information.

  3. Pay the $7.00 CAD fee for your eTA immediately after completing the form.

  4. Check your email for a notification that your application was approved.

If you don’t receive an email indicating the approval of your application, you may need to submit more information. If this happens, you will receive an email asking you to submit further documents. You should receive this within 72 hours of submitting your initial application.

Canada eTA Processing Time

Have you already applied for an eTA and you’re waiting for it to be processed? Check the eTA processing time to see when you might receive your document.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

41 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page