Oshawa Office

Calver and Associates

Immigration Services

71 Albert St., Suite 6, Oshawa

ON L1H 4R1

  • Facebook - Black Circle
  • LinkedIn - Black Circle
  • Instagram - Black Circle
  • YouTube - Black Circle
  • Pinterest - Black Circle

Cobourg Office

Calver and Associates

Immigration Services

278 George St., Cobourg

ON K9A 3L8

Direct Line: 289-677-0108


Appointments available: Monday to Friday 10:00am - 6:00pm

  • Calver & Associates



Did you know that approximately half of our clients come from the United States? Our American clients often first reach out to us by asking whether they can permanently move to Canada. Our answer to this question is yes, depending upon the immigration program you apply to and your current situation. Today, we will explain some of the options available to those who wish to come to Canada from the USA permanently.


Some of our U.S. clients have come to Canada in the past and wish to immigrate permanently. There are several programs available to those who wish to permanently come to Canada.

  • Express Entry Stream: Canadian Experience Class, Federal Skilled Worker Program, and Federal Skilled Trades Program

  • Provincial Nominee Programs: The Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP) is a popular choice. This program allows foreign workers, international students, and others to apply for a nomination for permanent residence in Ontario.

  • Family Sponsorship: If you have an eligible family member already living in Canada, they may be able to sponsor you to come to Canada as well.

  • Business Immigration: The Canadian Start-Up Visa program was designed for immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills needed to build innovative businesses in Canada that will help create more jobs in the country. Many of our clients have come to Canada through this stream of entry.

Want to stay in Canada?

After staying in Canada for a certain period of time, you can apply for Canadian Citizenship. In order to apply, you must:

  • be a permanent resident

  • have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years

  • have filed your taxes

  • show how well you know Canada

  • prove your language skills

The cost to apply for Canadian citizenship is $630 for an adult or $100 for a minor. Once you submit your application, it typically takes approximately 12 months for it to be processed. While you wait to receive notification from the Canadian government, you can monitor the status of your application in an online portal.  

If you are deemed eligible, you may be invited to take a citizenship test. After the test, you would attend an interview with a citizenship official (typically on the same day as the test). After the interview and test are complete, the Government of Canada will make an official decision on your application. If your application is approved, there will be one final step to complete: taking the Oath of Citizenship. The Oath of Citizenship ceremony usually occurs three months after a decision has been made regarding your application and you’ll receive an invitation about 1 month before the ceremony.

Many of our U.S. clients settle within Durham Region in Cobourg, Port Hope, Newcastle, Bowmanville, Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and Pickering. According to the 2016 Census, nearly one-quarter of Durham residents are immigrants to Canada. Among the United States, the most popular countries of origin include India, Philippines, Pakistan, China, Jamaica, Sri Lanka, United Kingdom, Bangladesh, and Egypt.

Do you have friends and family who want to visit you in Canada? Read our article about moving to Canada from the USA temporarily.


Located in the heart of downtown Oshawa, we serve clients located throughout Durham Region, ranging from Ajax to Port Hope and beyond. We have a unique understanding of the immigration process for those who come to Durham Region. From students to workers to travellers, we can provide you with the assistance you require to ensure your application is met with success. 

If you’re planning to move to Durham Region from abroad, we can assist you with your application to work, study, travel, or apply for citizenship.  

Contact our firm today to start your case.