top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Inland Spousal Sponsorship – The Application Process

Updated: Apr 20, 2020

What is the application fee?

The government fee for processing an application is $1040.00. This fee must be paid at the time we submit the application on your behalf. An additional fee of $150.00 is payable for any dependent child included in the application.

Where will my application be processed?

Your application will be processed at the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, Ontario.

Can I check the status of my sponsorship application?

How long will it take to process my application?

Processing times vary but you can check the IRCC processing times using the processing time calculator.

Can I work while my application is in process?

Sponsored spouses who currently reside in Canada with valid immigration status in Canada can apply for an open work permit along with their sponsorship application. An “open” work permit provides you with authorization to work in any occupation, in any province, for any employer subject to the usual licensing requirements of that particular profession or trade.

What if I do not have valid status?

Applicants who do not have valid status or who have expired status in Canada cannot apply for a work permit until their application has completed “first-stage” processing and has been approved-in-principle.

Can I work as a volunteer while my application is in process?

According to IRCC, any activity for which wages are paid, commission is earned, or that competes directly with the activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents is “work.” Any such activity requires you to have a work permit. You can volunteer if the work you perform is labour for which a person would not normally be compensated for (e.g. Soup Kitchen volunteer).

Can I study when my application is in process?

If your application is approved-in-principle, you will receive an acknowledgement letter informing you that you can now apply to study in Canada. You will have to submit a separate application to receive your study permit. If you are a visitor to Canada, you can study without a study permit in Canada so long as your course of study is less than six months and will be completed before the expiry of the first six months of your stay in Canada.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

92 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page