top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

How to Bring a Foreign Worker to Canada

Canadian employers have many reasons for wanting to bring foreign workers to Canada. In some cases, an industry has a serious labour shortage or a lack of experienced and qualified talent. In other cases, employers know eligible candidates in another country who would be the perfect fit for the role.

In any case, there are several options available, depending on the applicant.

Hire a Foreign Worker Canada: Work Permit & LMIA

One way an employer can bring a foreign worker to Canada is to support their Work Permit application with a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). An LMIA is a document that shows that the foreign worker is the best candidate for the job in Canada.

To hire a temporary foreign worker, you must:

  • Get an LMIA or submit an offer of employment

  • Have the worker apply for a work permit


Bring a Foreign Worker to Canada: Intracompany Transferee Canada

If an international business wishes to send an employee to Canada to work for a Canadian subsidiary, a Work Permit as an Intra-company Transferee is a viable option.

The key elements that must be present to qualify under this category are as follows:

  • The employee is currently employed by a multi-national company and seeking entry to work in a parent, a subsidiary, a branch or an affiliate of that enterprise;

  • They are transferring to an enterprise that has a qualifying relationship with the enterprise in which they are currently employed, and will be undertaking employment at a legitimate and continuing establishment of that company (where 18–24 months can be used as a reasonable minimum guideline);

  • They are being transferred to a position in an executive, senior managerial, or specialized knowledge capacity;

  • They have been employed continuously by the company that plans to transfer them outside Canada in a similar full-time position (not accumulated part-time) for at least one year in the three-year period immediately preceding the date of initial application.

    • Exceptions can be made to this point

Hire Permanent Foreign Worker Canada: Express Entry

Another option to bring a foreign worker to Canada is the Express Entry system. Canadian employers seeking to hire international talent for certain positions can hire internationally. The Express Entry system manages applications for Permanent Residency, which means the employer would be eligible to stay in Canada permanently and work at the company, ensuring long term employment.

The Express Entry system is a points-based system where candidates are issued points for various criteria such as their language skills, job experience, education, age, etc. With a job offer, the employee will earn additional points for their Express Entry profile, helping them become a more qualified candidate who’s more likely to be issued an Invitation to Apply for Permanent Residency.

An additional advantage to the Express Entry system is that applications are processed quickly - typically in less than 8 months.

There are three federal economic immigration programs processed through the Express Entry system:

  • Federal Skilled Worker

  • Canadian Experience Class

  • Federal Skilled Trades Program


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

212 views0 comments


bottom of page