top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Can I confirm my permanent residency during the travel restrictions?

Many people who are in the process of applying for Permanent Residency are concerned about validating their status. In order to validate Permanent Residency, applicants must visit a Canadian border and have their document stamped by a Canadian border officer.

This practice is commonly referred to as ‘flagpoling’. It’s not only used by applicants for Permanent Residence but also by individuals seeking to renew study and work permits.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) posted a statement on their website last week, which states that travel for the purpose of obtaining immigration services is non-essential.

Those who are in Canada wishing to travel to a Canadian land border in order to make an application for a work permit, study permit, or permanent residence are asked to consider federal and provincial guidelines for self-isolation and social distancing. CBSA requests those applicants not to travel to the border for these services until further notice.


However, if you are currently in Canada as a visitor, student or worker, you can apply online to IRCC to extend your temporary resident status. Applying to extend your status will allow to you to continue to stay, study, or work in Canada while your application is being processed. This is referred to as implied status, and as long as you apply before your current document expires, your current immigration authorizations and conditions remain unchanged. In-Canada services are available through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

The Government of Canada and Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) continue to issue updates regularly. We will monitor all changes and share these updates with you as soon as possible.

We understand that this is both a stressful and confusing time for Canadians, Temporary Residents, and Travellers. Please feel welcome to reach out to us for further information and guidance regarding your current situation.

For more information, you may find these pages helpful:

Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

46 views0 comments


bottom of page