top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

What documents should I bring with me when landing in Canada as a new immigrant?

Updated: Apr 15, 2020

When you come to Canada, you must show your Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) and Canadian immigrant visa to an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) officer at the Port of Entry.

The IRCC officer will check that your documents have not expired. You cannot use expired documents. Canadian immigrant visas cannot be extended, so make sure you arrive in Canada before it expires.

  • You must bring a valid passport with you.

  • You need to have 2 copies of a detailed list of your belongings that you are bringing with you and their value in Canadian funds. You also need a list of the items that are arriving later and their value in Canadian funds.

  • You may be asked to show proof of funds. If you are carrying more than C$10,000, you must tell a border official.

What other documents should I bring with me?

Make sure that you have the following documents:

  • Birth certificate or adoption papers

  • Family records (such as, marriage certificate or divorce papers)

  • Medical records (such as immunization records)

  • Dental records

  • Official school records for children

  • Diplomas, degrees and transcripts

  • Academic credentials evaluation report (if you had your education assessed before coming to Canada)

  • Reference letters from previous and current employers

  • Professional or trade licences or qualification certificates

  • Up-to-date résumé or summary of work experience

  • Valid driver’s licence or other identification documents

  • Vehicle registration documents (if you are importing a vehicle into Canada)

For More Information

  1. Canada Border Services Agency – CBSA is responsible for border services (port-of-entry services), customs and enforcement of some immigration laws in Canada.

  2. Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) – IRCC is responsible for Canadian immigration and citizenship. Get information on IRCC policy, programs and services, application kits, and more.

  3. Canadian Embassy, High Commission or Consulate – A list of Canadian visa offices outside of Canada.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

5 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page