top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Travel Restrictions and Exemptions | COVID-19

Returning to Canada During COVID-19

The Government of Canada has announced Travel Instructions to limit the spread of COVID-19.

In general, these restrictions state that:

  • Borders are closed to those who are not Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents

  • Borders are closed to all non-essential travellers

  • Airlines will ban all travellers with symptoms from boarding planes. Anyone who has symptoms will not be able to come to Canada

  • Only 4 Canadian airports will be accepting international flights as of March 18th, 2020

In essence, the Government of Canada advises that you avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada until further notice. Many countries have put in place travel or border restrictions and other measures such as movement restrictions and quarantines.

Travel restrictions were originally in place until June 30th, 2020. As of June 30th, 2020, the Federal Government has extended these restrictions until at least July 31st, 2020.

Exemptions to Travel Restrictions

More recently, IRCC has announced exemptions to these restrictions. Exemptions to the air travel restrictions will apply to foreign nationals who have already committed to working, studying, or making Canada their home.

The exemptions include:

  • Seasonal agricultural workers, fish/seafood workers, caregivers, and all other temporary foreign workers

  • International students who held a valid study permit, or had been approved for a study permit, when travel restrictions took effect on March 18, 2020

  • Permanent resident applicants who had been approved for permanent residence before the travel restrictions were announced on March 16, 2020, but who had not yet travelled to Canada


Close family members of Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents are also exempt from the travel restrictions. Close family members include:

  • The spouse or common-law partner of the person

  • A dependent child of the person or of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

  • A dependent child of a dependent child

  • The parent or step-parent of the person’s spouse or common-law partner

  • The guardian of the person


  • Until further notice, you might not be able to travel to Canada, even if you have a valid visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).

  • You can travel to Canada only if you are exempt from the travel restrictions and are coming for an essential purpose.

    • Exemptions include (but are not limited to): temporary foreign workers, some international students, some approved permanent residents, immediate family members of a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident, and more.

  • If you meet one of the criteria for exemption from the travel restrictions, and you want to apply to come to Canada, you should note that there are changes to the application process.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

93 views0 comments


bottom of page