top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.


Updated: May 13, 2020

In order to sponsor your spouse, common-law partner, or conjugal partner to come to Canada, both parties must meet various requirements outlined by the Government of Canada. One of the requirements is that you provide proof of your relationship.

You must effectively show the Government of Canada that the relationship between you and your partner is genuine and that the application is not intended to facilitate immigration to Canada in “bad faith”. Applications of this nature are prohibited by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).


Our clients often ask: What constitutes proof of relationship?

Today, Jade explains:

  • How to prove your relationship is genuine

  • What constitutes supporting evidence

  • How much information/evidence to provide

  • What to avoid


There are a variety of documents you can provide to show that you and your partner have been in a real relationship. For the strongest case, we recommend providing documents that span the entirety of your relationship. If you have been in a relationship for 7 years, you should provide evidence of correspondence from the past 7 years to show the history of your relationship and build a strong case in your favour.

  • Email correspondence

  • Cards from Birthdays and special occasions

  • Letters

  • Social media comments and interactions

  • Facebook conversations

  • Wedding invitations

  • Reference letters from close friends or family members that confirm the nature of your relationship

  • Power of attorney

  • Copies of leases

  • Life insurance policies

  • Beneficiaries

  • Copies of bank statements

  • Joint account

Do you think you’re ready to submit your spousal sponsorship application? Read our Spousal Sponsorship Document Checklist to see if your application is ready.


Read more about Spousal Sponsorship to Canada: 


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

4,901 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page