top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.


Many of our clients approach us with the goal of obtaining Canadian citizenship. However, oftentimes, people don’t realize that there is a process involved in order to obtain Canadian citizenship.

Today, we spoke with Kelly Makhoul from the blog, An Aussie in Toronto about her experience coming to Canada from Australia on a Working Holiday Visa. Kelly then transitioned from a Working Holiday Visa to Permanent Residency, and she is now in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship. To learn more about Kelly’s journey, watch our interview.


The International Experience Canada (IEC) program is designed for young adults in partnering countries who want to visit, travel, and work in Canada for up to two years. The IEC program has three pools of entry, which include the Working Holiday Visa, the Young Professionals Class, and the International Experience Canada Co-op.  

After staying in Canada on the Working Holiday Visa, Kelly applied for a bridging open work permit, which allowed her to extend her stay in Canada. Shortly thereafter, she discovered the Express Entry stream.


Kelly applied for Permanent Residency through the Express Entry system, which manages three streams of application. The programs in Express Entry include: the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Federal Skilled Trades Class, and the Canadian Experience Class.

The Express Entry stream is a popular choice for those who want to stay in Canada for an extended period of time. 


Kelly decided to apply for Canadian citizenship after living and working in Canada for a number of years. Through the Working Holiday Visa and her PR status, Kelly met the residency and status requirements to apply for Canadian citizenship.

Canadian citizenship requirements:

  • be a permanent resident

  • have lived in Canada for 3 out of the last 5 years

  • have filed your taxes, if you need to

  • show how well you know Canada

  • prove your language skills


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

121 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page