top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.


Updated: Apr 20, 2020


I have a Green Card, but I am from the Philippines, which is normally a visa-requiring country. Do I need a visa to enter Canada even though I have a U.S. Green Card?


The short answer to this question is no. As a U.S. Green Card holder, you do not require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in order to come to Canada. You may, however, need an eTA (electronic travel authorization) if you are flying into Canada.

TRV-requiring nationals who have a Green Card, who are driving into Canada can cross the border with their passport and U.S. Green Card.

If the same foreign national is planning on flying to Canada, then they would need to obtain an eTA before boarding their flight. The application process for an eTA is relatively short and inexpensive. It costs only $7 CAD to obtain and you can apply online.

U.S. Green Card holders are subject to the same 6-month visa requirement as all visitors to Canada, unless the officer’s stamp states a different duration.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

11 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page