top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Document Collection for Immigration Applications During COVID-19

Travel restrictions, border closures, and service reductions implemented in light of COVID-19 have had an impact on applicants’ ability to secure the required documentation to complete their immigration application.

Incomplete Immigration Applications

According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), immigration applications continue to be processed at a delayed rate. In some cases, however, applicants have been unable to gather all required documents, such as police certificates and biometrics.

IRCC has provided applicants with an additional 60 days to submit this documentation to complete their application.

If the application has yet to be submitted and the applicant knows that their submission will contain incomplete requirements due to COVID-19 closures, a note should be provided that states as much.


As of July 3rd 2020, Service Canada centres remain closed for biometrics services. Applicants with pending applications should continue to monitor the Service Canada website for updates.

You don’t have to give your biometrics until the sites reopen. This applies to you, even if your biometrics instruction letter (BIL) says you have 30 or 90 days.

Confirmation of Permanent Residency (COPR)

Applicants who received a Confirmation of Permanent Residency document prior to March 18th, 2020 can still come to Canada, pending they meet other criteria (i.e. no symptoms of COVID-19, ability to self-isolate for 14 days upon arrival, etc.).

You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms.

The Canadian Government also released information about what to do for your landing appointment or if you have a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) that’s about to expire.

Work Permits

Applicants who have recently-issued permits or work permit approval letters can still enter Canada, provided that they carry information from their Canadian employer that the position they applied for is still available.

IRCC has yet to provide guidance to those intending to work in the country but has no work permit or no employer’s letter, like visa-exempt or work permit-exempt individuals entering through an International Mobility Worker Unit opinion, PNP work permit support letter, or LMIA.

Expiring Work Permits & Study Permits

If your visitor status, or study or work authorization hasn’t expired and you wish to remain in Canada, you must apply online, unless exempt, to extend your stay in Canada. If you’re a visitor, you can apply for a visitor record to extend your stay in Canada.

If you’re a worker or student, you have 2 options:

  1. If you’re no longer working or studying, you can → apply to change your status to visitor, as long as your study or work permit has not expired → find out how to extend your stay in Canada as a visitor

  2. If you want to continue working or studying, you may be able to extend your work permit or study permit if you’re eligible.


Stay tuned for updates on our page!


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

61 views0 comments


bottom of page