top of page
  • Writer's pictureCalver Immigration Consulting Inc.

Inland Spousal Sponsorship – Frequently Asked Questions

Updated: Apr 15, 2020

Can my common-law partner sponsor me before we have accumulated one year of cohabitation?

No. Your qualifications will be assessed from the date of submission to the date of finalization. If you do not have at least one year of cohabitation before submission of your application, your application will be refused.

We are married but haven’t yet received the official Ontario marriage certificate. Can we submit our application before we receive it?

No. Your marriage certificate is a mandatory requirement for submission with the application. We can begin preparation of your application but will not be in a position to submit until the Marriage Certificate is received.

What if I marry my common-law spouse or conjugal partner? Should I change the application?

You have to notify IRCC of the change in your marital status, but you do not need to submit a new application.

What if there is a breakdown of the relationship?

You must notify IRCC about any separation or change in your marital status as this is a material fact that could affect the decision that is to be made by immigration officials. If immigration officials do not believe that you are in a relationship of an indefinite nature, your application will be refused. Sponsors are routinely asked to accompany the applicant to their landing interview. If your sponsor does not attend as expected, your landing will probably be delayed or cancelled.

Can I be sponsored if I am in Canada without status?

In most circumstances, yes you can. However, there are some prohibitions. Once your background information has been reviewed, we will advise you on whether or not you are eligible to be sponsored without having any status in Canada.

Does my sponsor need to have an income to sponsor me?

There is no minimum income requirement for sponsors to be eligible to sponsor his/her spouse or common-law partner. If, however, you are receiving any form of social assistance (including some types of subsidized housing), for a reason other than a disability, you are not eligible to sponsor. If you or your sponsor collects any form of social assistance during the application process, the application may be refused.


Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area.

We can provide assistance with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developing remedies for refusal.

235 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page