21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 

Updates to the Post-Graduate Work Permit | February 2019


Updates to the Post-Graduate Work Permit | February 2019

Jade Calver

A new program delivery update from the Government of Canada has announced a number of changes to the Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) program. One of the most notable changes is the extension for international graduates to apply for a PGWP.

Students now have 6 months to apply for the permit, as opposed to the previous limit of 60 days. This means that students have more time to submit their PGWP application once they obtain their notice of graduation from their learning institution.

Students also no longer need to hold a valid study permit when they apply for the Post Graduate Work Permit. Instead, international graduates must only have had a valid study permit at some point during the 6 month period allotted to recent graduates to submit their PGWP application. For example, if your study permit expired the day after your graduation, you do not need to apply for a study permit renewal while you obtain documents and prepare your application for the PGWP.

New Eligibility Requirements

Applicants for the PGWP:

  • Can receive one post-graduate work permit in their lifetime.

  • Must either have temporary resident status or have left Canada in order to apply.

  • Must have graduated from a Designated Learning Institution (DLI).

  • Must submit clear evidence that they meet the following criteria.

    • They have completed an academic, vocational, or professional training program at a Designated Learning Institution in Canada that was at least 8 months in duration and led to a degree, diploma, or certificate.

    • They maintained full-time student status in Canada during each academic session of the program.

    • They received a transcript and an official letter from the DLI confirming that they met the requirements to complete their program of study.

  • Within 6 months of applying for the PGWP, applicants must meet one of the criteria:

    • Currently hold a valid study permit;

    • Previously held a study permit; or

    • They were authorized to study in Canada without a study permit

What is the post-graduation work permit?

A Post Graduate Work Permit allows students who have graduated from eligible Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) to acquire an open work permit. The open work permit offers recent graduates the chance to gain valuable work experience in Canada. It can also allow graduates the chance to accrue time spent living in Canada to aid meeting the residency requirement for an application for Permanent Residency (PR).

Furthermore, skilled Canadian work experience in the national occupational code (NOC) A, O or B that is gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class, within Express Entry.

Learn More About Studying in Canada

Have Questions?

We provide expertise in Canadian immigration law. We provide comprehensive immigration services to clients in a timely and strategic manner, in adherence to the constantly changing immigration laws and regulations. Contact us today for advice regarding your case.