21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 

The 2019 IEC Season is Open


The 2019 IEC Season is Open

Jade Calver

IEC 2019 Canada

The 2019 International Experience Canada (IEC) class is here! The Government of Canada recently announced that the IEC class is open for 2019. In September, the IEC class closed for 2018 applications. Now, applicants can prepare their profile for the upcoming year.

There are three pools in the International Experience Canada class. These include the International Internship (Co-op), the Young Professionals, and the Working Holiday. This class is ideal for candidates who want to travel and/or work in Canada for a set period of time.

How the Pools Work

Similar to the Express Entry system, applicants must create an IEC profile online and join a pool of other candidates. You can only have one IEC profile at any time, but you may be eligible for more than one IEC pool. Once you complete your profile, the Government of Canada will indicate which pools are available to you. For example, you might submit your profile to both the Working Holiday and the Young Professionals pools if you are eligible to do so.

How the Invitations are Issued

Invitations to Apply (ITAs) are issued to the International Internship pool first, then Young Professionals, and finally the Working Holiday pool. This means that if you apply to more than one category, you will be invited to the first pool listed. For example, if you apply to both the International Internship category and the Working Holiday, you will receive an ITA for the International Internship category. If there are no remaining spots in the Internship category, then you may receive an ITA for the Working Holiday category.

How to Apply for International Experience Canada Class

  1. Choose which program of entry to apply to.

    Working Holiday: for those who want to fund their travels by working in Canada. Applicants in this category may not have a job offer or they may want to work for more than one Canadian employer. You will receive an open work permit for this category.

    International Co-op: for students registered at a post-secondary institution who have a job offer for a work placement or internship in Canada. The internship must also be a requirement for their program of study. The work permit for this category is employer-specific.

    Young Professionals: for those who want to gain professional work experience in a global economy. Applicants must have a job offer in Canada that contributes their professional development. They must also show that they will work for the same employer for the duration of their stay. The work permit for this category is employer-specific.

  2. Determine if you are eligible for the IEC class. Check to see if you are a citizen of a country that has a bilateral agreement with Canada. If you are not, you may still be eligible for the program if you use a Recognized Organization. There are a number of other eligibility requirements pertaining to your age, job offer, funds, and more. Check your eligibility using the Government of Canada’s eligibility calculator.

  3. Create and complete a GCKey account.  

  4. If you meet the requirements, you will be notified through your account. You will remain in the pool for 1 year from the day you entered and you will continue to have a chance to be selected until your country’s quotas have been met. The selection process for this class is completely random. So, if you meet eligibility requirements, you have an equal chance of being selected as all other applicants.

  5. If you are accepted into the program and receive an ITA, you have 10 days to accept and start your application online for a temporary work permit. Then, once you accept the ITA, you have 20 days to pay your fees, complete you online application, and submit it for a work permit.

  6. Employer-specific work permits require the employer to pay a $230 CAD Employer Compliance Fee through the Employer Portal. Working Holiday participants must pay a $100 CAD work permit holder fee. And all categories require participants to pay a $150 CAD participation fee.

  7. If your work permit application is successful, you will be issued a Letter of Introduction, or a Port of Entry (POE) letter. This letter will allow you to obtain your temporary work permit  at a land port of entry when you arrive in Canada.

To learn more about the IEC class, check out our video on the topic here: