21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 

How to Stay in Canada After IEC Working Holiday Visa


How to Stay in Canada After IEC Working Holiday Visa

Jade Calver

Are you coming to Canada on a Working Holiday Visa through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program? Already in Canada on a Working Holiday Visa? Many applicants are only eligible to participate in the Working Holiday Visa program once in their lifetime. So, it’s never too early to think about the best way to extend your stay in Canada after your Working Holiday Visa expires.  

We recommend one of three options:

1. Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Visitor

The Visitor Visa will allow you to stay in Canada for up to 6 months after your working holiday visa expires. You won’t be able to work while in Canada on a Visitor Visa but you can continue to travel and reside in the country. You should apply for a Visitor Visa at least 30 days before your work permit expires. 

If you apply for a Visitor Visa and your IEC expires before you receive it, you are allowed to stay in Canada on implied visitor status until a decision is made about your application. 

The application fee for a Visitor Visa is currently $100 CAD and the estimated processing time is 1 week for an online application and 1 month for a paper-based application submitted inside Canada. 


2. Apply for the Young Professionals Program

The Young Professionals Program was designed for post-secondary graduates who wish to pursue a career in Canada. To participate in the Young Professionals Program, you must either have a contract or a job offer from a Canadian employer. The job must also be within your area of expertise and your field of study. 


It’s important to note that the Young Professionals Program is employer-specific. This means you are only allowed to work for one employer during your time in Canada. 

After your application is accepted and you receive your visa, you must leave the country and re-enter at a Canadian border to activate your status

3. Apply for Permanent Residency Through the Express Entry Program (Canadian Experience Class)

Oftentimes, those who are eligible for the International Experience Canada program are also eligible for the Canadian Experience Class through the Express Entry stream of application.

The Express Entry system manages applications for three programs: 

  • Federal Skilled Worker Program

  • Federal Skilled Trades Class

  • Canadian Experience Class


Depending on your work experience and skill level, you may be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Class or the Federal Skilled Trades class. Most applicants, however, are eligible for the Canadian Experience Class. 

To be considered eligible for the Canadian Experience Class, you must:

  • Meet the English or French language skill requirements

    • Have a CLB 7 if your NOC is 0 or A

    • Have a CLB 5 if your NOC is B

  • Meet the work experience requirements

    • Canadian work experience in either NOC codes 0 (managerial), A (professional), or B (technical or skilled trades)

    • Have at least 1 year of work experience in Canada in the last 3 years (either combination of full-time or part-time work)

Some appealing features of the CEC is that there are no education requirements and you do not need a job offer to be considered eligible. 

To apply for the CEC, you need to go through the Express Entry system. Express Entry candidates are ranked based on their Comprehensive Ranking System scores. Those candidates with the highest scores will receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA). It can take up to 6 months to receive your status in this category.


Are you still unsure about what to do after your Working Holiday in Canada? We can help you develop a plan to stay in Canada either temporarily or permanently. We specialize in both federal and provincial immigration programs. 

Our Services

Calver and Associates is a leading provider of Canadian Immigration services in Durham Region. We serve clients in Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, and beyond. Our Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant has over 10 years of experience in Canadian Immigration law and over four years of experience serving those in the Oshawa area. 

We assist with applications for both temporary and permanent residency in Canada. We handle applications for study permits, permanent residency, family class sponsorship, visitor visas, work permits, and Canadian citizenship. We also handle criminal inadmissibility cases by developingremedies for refusal

Contact our Oshawa office today!

Calver & Associates Canadian Immigration Services
71 Albert St. Suite 6
Oshawa, ON 
L1H 4R1