21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 

How a Canadian Job Offer Can Lead to Permanent Residence


How a Canadian Job Offer Can Lead to Permanent Residence

Jade Calver

According to the 2019 Canadian Immigration Plan, the Government of Canada aims to admit between 300,000 and 350,000 immigrants in 2019. A large percentage of these immigrants will come to Canada through economic streams of entry. For those wishing to live in Canada for an extended period of time, a Canadian job offer is an excellent place to start the immigration process. The Canadian immigration system favours those who come to Canada with an employment offer because this shows that the immigrant will contribute to the Canadian economy. In addition, a valid Canadian job offer can provide various options for obtaining Permanent Residence via the Express Entry system.

Express Entry

The Express Entry system was launched in January of 2015 and it was created as a way of managing permanent residency applications from skilled workers. Those who are interested may apply from inside or outside of Canada, as long as they meet the eligibility requirements.

Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

Your job offer may require a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to demonstrate that your future employer was not able to fill the position with a Canadian worker. This shows that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. It is important to note that the LMIA will boost your Express Entry score by 50 points for a skilled worker and as much as 200 points for an executive position.

Here are three ways a Canadian job offer can lead to becoming a Permanent Resident:

1) Express Entry: Federal Skilled Worker Program

The federal skilled worker program is open to certain occupations listed in the National Occupation Classification (NOC). If you have a valid offer of employment and an LMIA, the occupation list does not apply to you. You would only need to have a job offer for a position that falls into the NOC A, B, or O skill levels. If it is possible for you the immigrate through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, you must apply for Permanent Residency through the Express Entry system.

2) Express Entry: Canadian Experience Class

With an LMIA job offer, you can apply for a work permit. After working in Canada for one year in a NOC A, B, or O skill-level job, in a full-time capacity, you may then apply for permanent residence through the Canadian Experience Class. In previous years, Canadian Experience Class applications were handle on a first-come, first-served basis. Now, these applications are handled through the Express Entry system.

3) Provincial Nominee Programs

If your job offer does not receive a positive LMIA, the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows the territorial and/or provincial governments to select immigrants based on the specific economic needs of that territory or province. The PNP system evaluates job offers from employers to determine whether they meet the needs of the specific province. If you are accepted by the province, you can then apply for PR status as a Provincial Nominee, bypassing the skilled worker and LMIA processes.

Have Questions?

We provide expertise in Canadian immigration law. We provide comprehensive immigration services to clients in a timely and strategic manner, in adherence to the constantly changing immigration laws and regulations. Contact us today for advice regarding your case.