21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 

Live in Caregiver Programs | New Rules


Live in Caregiver Programs | New Rules

Jade Calver

Live-In Caregiver Program Changes

The Live-In Caregiver Program (LCP) was a program offered to foreign nationals wishing to live and work in Canada as a caregiver for children, seniors, or people with high medical needs. In 2014, this program closed. Instead, the Government of Canada created two programs for those wishing to work as a caregiver in Canada. These programs include the Caring for Children Program and the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Program.

As such, families wishing to hire a caregiver through one of these streams must do so under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). Employers must also obtain a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to show a foreign worker is not taking a job from a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.

Under both streams, caregivers must provide full-time care for at least 30 hours per week. Finally, caregivers in both of these streams must meet the requirements set by Employment and Social Development Canada and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Caring for Children Program

The caring for children program is for caregivers who have worked for two of the last four years in Canada as a home childcare provider. Their work must match the description in Canada’s National Occupation Classification Code (NOC) Group 4411. This includes positions such as child care provider, live-in caregiver, and nanny. They must also have cared for children under 18 years of age in their own home or in their employer’s home.

Caregivers for People with High Medical Needs

The caring for people with high medical needs program is for caregivers who have worked for two of the last four years in Canada as a registered nurse, registered psychiatric nurse, licensed practical nurse, nurse aide, patient service associate, or a home support worker. Their work experience must fall into Registered Nurse or Psychiatric Nurse (NOC 3012); Licensed Practical Nurse (NOC 3233); Nurse aides, orderlies, and patient service associates (NOC 3413); or Home Support Worker, live-in caregiver, or personal care attendant (NOC 4412). Those individuals whom they can care for include those individuals who are over 65 years of age and people with disabilities or chronic or terminal illness.

Pathways to Permanent Residence

Both caregiver streams have pathways to permanent residence in Canada.

Changes to the Caregiver Programs

The Caring for Children and Caring for People with High Medical Needs programs were launched as 5-year pilot programs in 2014. As such, the Government of Canada will be reviewing both streams in 2019 to study the success of the pilots and determine how caregivers will apply for permanent residence after the pilots expire on November 29, 2019.

If you plan to apply for either of these programs, you must be eligible according to the listed criteria, have two years of full-time work as a caregiver, and be sure to submit your application before the expiration date.

To read more about the upcoming expiration of these programs, read this article, published by CBC.