21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 

Changes to Canada's Study Permit Requirements | 2019


Changes to Canada's Study Permit Requirements | 2019

Jade Calver

Study Permits

A Canadian study permit allows foreign nationals to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) in Canada. Some popular DLI’s in Durham Region include Ontario Tech University (formerly University of Ontario Institute of Technology/UOIT), Trent University, Durham College, and Fleming College. The study permit is typically valid for the length of the educational program plus an additional 90 days.

The 3-month period following completion of the program allows graduates a chance to apply to extend their stay in Canada. Many graduates choose to apply for the post-graduate work permit to begin gaining work experience and accrue time spent living in Canada to become eligible for Permanent Residency in the future.

Updated Study Permit Application Information

In April 2019, several changes were made to the study permit application instructions to provide further clarification for applicants.

Where Applicants Apply

  • Foreign nationals can submit an application online through an electronic application or in-person at a visa application centre.

  • Foreign nationals must have a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada. If you choose to apply from within Canada, you must have these documents before arriving in the country.

 Applying from within Canada

  • Foreign nationals may apply for a study permit after entering Canada if they fall into one of these categories:

    • foreign nationals and their family members who hold a valid study or work permit

    • foreign nationals who have obtained authorization to engage in studies in Canada without a study permit, pursuant to subsection of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and whose application is made within the period starting 90 days before and ending 90 days after the expiry of the authorization

    • foreign nationals and their family members who are subject to an unenforceable removal order, including refugee claimants

    • foreign nationals and their family members who hold a TRP, pursuant to subsection A24(1), that is valid for at least 6 months

    • foreign nationals who are in a situation described in section R207

    • in-Canada permanent residence applicants and their family members who are determined eligible for permanent resident status as one of the following:

      • spouses or common-law partners

      • protected persons within the meaning of subsection A95(2)

      • people who have been granted an exemption pursuant to subsection A25(1)

      • people who are subject to humanitarian and compassionate considerations

      • live-in caregivers

    • family members of participants in sports activities or events in Canada, either as individual participants or as members of a foreign-based team or Canadian amateur team

    • family members of

      • designated members of the armed forces

      • officers of a foreign government

      • employees of a foreign news company

      • people responsible for assisting a congregation

Study Permit Renewals and Temporary Resident Visas

  • The renewal of the study permit does not constitute an application for a TRV. In other words, TRV-requiring foreign nationals must apply separately for a TRV when they apply for a study permit renewal. They must also pay the appropriate fees for each application (i.e. study permit renewal fees and TRV fees).

 Visiting Students

  • Students who study in Canada must pay visiting student fees to the host institution. This applies to students who are enrolled at a foreign institution and who attend a Canadian institution for a period of time with the intent of transferring the credits back to their home institution.

  • Visiting students differ from exchange students, who participate in an exchange program where both institutions have a formal agreement.  

Exchange Students

  • Exchange students study in Canada under the same conditions as visiting students, however they are not required to pay visiting student fees. The fee is covered in the exchange agreement between the student’s host institution and home institution.

  • Exchange students also don’t require a study permit, unless they stay in Canada for more than 6 months. Students in Canada on an exchange may only work off campus if they hold a study permit.

Transitioning from Primary to Secondary Studies or from Secondary Studies to Post-Secondary Studies

  • Students who wish to transition between primary school to secondary school or secondary school to post-secondary school no longer need to apply for a new study permit as long as their current study permit is still valid.

Changing Post-Secondary Institutions

  • Students attending a post-secondary institution in Canada may transfer between institutions (public and private) or change their course or program of study without applying for a change to the condition of their study permit as long as they are transferring to a DLI.


Our Services

Whether you are applying for a study permit from inside Canada (as a Visitor), or from outside Canada in your home country, there are many steps involved in the process. For this reason, Study Permit applications are one of our most popular services. From eligibility requirements to forms to supporting documents, the application process can be both lengthy and daunting. Not to mention, minor errors often lead to the return of an application.  

If you are unsure of what steps to take next, contact us. 

We can help you determine the best course of action for your unique situation and ensure your immigration goals are met with success.

Learn More About Studying in Canada