What is the global talent stream?
The Global Talent Stream was launched on June 12, 2017 as a two-year pilot program under the Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP). The Global Talent Stream was designed to help skilled foreign workers come to Canada in a timely fashion to support the Canadian workforce. The program works by matching innovative companies and employers with highly skilled workers to fill unique and specialized positions. This program is highly suitable for those employers who are seeking to find workers on the Global Talent Occupations List.
Global Talent Occupations List:
- Engineering Managers
- Computer Engineers
- Mathematicians and Statisticians
- Software Engineers and Designers
- Web Designers and Developers
To see the full list, click here.
Prospective candidates may be eligible under Category A or Category B of the Global Talent Stream. For Category A, “an innovative company must be referred by one of the Stream’s designated referral partners on the basis that the position being requested requires unique and specialized talent to help the firm scale-up and grow.” Some of the criteria for this category requires the referral partner to be operating in Canada, focused on innovation, and have a willingness and capability to grow.
Category B is suitable for employers seeking to hire skilled workers found on the Global Talent Occupations List. The employer must be able to demonstrate that this position is in-demand and cannot be filled by local talent. This category does not, however, require a referral.
You must pay $1,000 for each position requested under the Global Talent Stream. This fee covers the cost of processing your application. It is important to note that this fee cannot be paid by temporary foreign workers and it will not be refunded if your application is withdrawn at your request.
What are the advantages of the Global Talent Stream?
There are many benefits to the Global Talent Stream for both the employer and the worker.
- Responsive and predictable service that supports employers throughout the entire application process
- Improved customer service department
- No minimum recruitment requirements for employers
- Fast and efficient process
- This allows companies to attract top talent to grow and remain globally competitive;
- Workers can be placed in roles in a timely manner (there is a two-week standard for processing work permit applications)
- No work permit requirement for short-term highly skilled workers (those working for 30 days or less in a 12-month period)
Are you ready to apply?
Do you think you’re ready to apply under the Global Talent Stream? Be sure you have the following items prepared before submitting your application:
- The most recent version of the application form
- All fields of the required forms are completed
- All pieces of required documentation are included
- All necessary forms are signed
- The processing fee payment was submitted with the application
Read the “Applicant Guide for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program Global Talent Stream” for a full list of the required steps.