21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 


I am sponsoring my spouse or partner who is in Canada. Can they work while their application is being processed?

Jade Calver

Yes, but only if your spouse or partner has a work permit.

If your spouse applied, or wants to apply, under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in-Canada class, he or she can apply for an open work permit.

Remember that while your spouse or partner’s permanent residence application is being processed, he or she must:

  • Maintain legal status as a visitor, student or worker in Canada, and
  • Wait for their work permit application to be approved before starting to work.

For help with your spousal sponsorship permanent residency application, call Calver & Associates today at 289-677-0108 ext.101 or email us at jade@calverandassociates.com. Our offices are conveniently located in downtown Oshawa, Ontario, Peterborough, Ontario and Cobourg, Ontario. We offer flexible hours to help you get the support you need.