21 Simcoe St S Suite 110
Oshawa, ON, L1H 4G1


Canadian Immigration Services 

NAFTA Permits (for US and Mexican Nationals)

NAFTA Work Permits Simplified

The North American Free Trade agreement allows for American and Mexican nationals to work in Canada without a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and in some instances, a Work Permit.

Normally, once a foreign national is offered employment in Canada, a Labour Market Impact Assessment must be obtained from Service Canada (HRSDC). After this, a Work Permit must be obtained, as well as a CAQ (Quebec Acceptance Certificate) if the job location is in Quebec.

NAFTA allows American nationals and Mexican nationals to apply for a Work Permit without an LMIA, and in some cases they are Work Permit exempt all together.
The positions in Canada must meet certain criteria in order to qualify for these NAFTA exemptions.

  • Business Visitors to Canada are both LMIA and Work Permit exempt, they must meet specific conditions that show that they will not enter the Canadian Labour Market.
  • Business Professionals, Intra-company Transferees and Traders/ Investors are exempt from the LMIA requirement, but do require a Work Permit.

These categories facilitate the flow of labour between Canada, the United States and Mexico, however it is important to pay careful attention to the conditions of each category, in order to satisfy CIC or a CBSA officer that one fulfills the requirements of the NAFTA category. Applying under the wrong category can result in a refusal of entry to Canada.

Calver and Associates can help you prepare a NAFTA Worker’s package to submit to CIC or to a CBSA Officer at a Border Entry. To discuss your options please call us at 289-677-0108 (Toll-Free 1-855-206-0337) or e-mail jade@calverandassociates.com.